The referral process has five simple steps:
1. Completion of a Student Referral Form. These forms can be obtained from the In-School Gifted Coordinator. Anyone with an interest in the student may make a referral to the gifted program. Examples of referring sources are parents, teachers, counselors, and students themselves.
2. Parents/Guardians will be notified and permission for testing will be requested if the initial evaluation meet the requirements.
3. Testing will take place within 90 days.
4. The In-School Coordinator will assemble data for the student. The information to be included in this file is the Teacher Assessment Scales, copies of report cards, and both achievement and aptitude standardized test results.
5. The Identification/Placement Committee will meet and determine if the student is eligible. If a student is found ineligible, parents/guardians will be advised of their right to appeal.
Transfer students must be registered at their home school before parents can request a gifted referral for their child. Parents must provide the child’s test scores and report cards from the past two years to be considered. If this information does not meet the criteria for the Goochland County Gifted Program, additional testing may be required before placement in the gifted program can be considered. If a student transfers during the summer, information must be provided at least six weeks prior to the first day of school in order for placement to be considered. If additional testing is needed for a summer transfer, a $500.00 fee will be assessed.