Goochland is competitive in the metro-Richmond area with respect to our starting salary for new teachers. Employees with a master's degree earn an additional $1,500.00 over the figure listed as do those employees holding an education specialist designation. Employees with doctorate degrees earn an additional $3,000.00 over the figures listed on the scale.
There are many benefits to working for the Goochland County Public Schools. Small class sizes, opportunities for professional development, seminars, and workshops, combined with our strong emphasis on technology make working in Goochland a great experience. Our commitment to attracting and retaining a top-quality professional staff is reflected in our comprehensive benefits package.
- Health Insurance - GCPS offers two comprehensive medical plans through TLC (The Local Choice), pays 100% of the employee’s premium for the basic package, and from $175 to $250 toward dependent coverage.
- Dental Insurance - Dental insurance is provided at no extra cost through the TLC comprehensive medical plan.
- Vision - Basic vision coverage is provided through TLC.
- Supplemental Insurance - Cancer, Intensive Care, Short Term Disability, Heart/Stroke, Long Term Care and Accident Protection are offered through optional supplemental plans designed to support the employee during unexpected incidents. A flexible medical reimbursement program is also provided for all employees.
- Holidays - As scheduled on the school calendar for 10 month employees (including teachers). Twelve month employees will receive a total of 12 scheduled holidays off.
- Sick Leave - Teachers accrue 1 sick leave day per month - 10 days per ten month school year. Twelve month employees accrue 10 hours (or 1 and 1/4 days) per month. Unused sick leave carries over to subsequent school years.
- Personal Leave - Two days per year for ten month employees. Unused personal leave converts to sick leave and carries over to subsequent school years.
- Annual Leave- Begins at 8 hours (1 day) per month for twelve month employees only.
Income Protection and Security
- Life Insurance - Provided by GCPS. Optional, additional life insurance is available for employee purchase through Minnesota Life.
- Sick Leave Bank - Employees may choose to enroll in the optional GCPS Sick Leave Bank, which provides income protection for up to 40 missed work days due to a catastrophic illness or injury. To participate in membership, employees make a one-time contribution of two of their allotted sick days.
- Short-term Disability - Voluntary through payroll deduction.
- Long-term Disability - Through Virginia Retirement System at no additional cost.
- Long-term Care - Voluntary through payroll deduction.
Retirement and Savings
- Retirement - GCPS pays 100% of the employee’s retirement contribution through the Virginia Retirement System (VRS); retirement is available as early as age 50.
- Tax Sheltered Annuities - 403(b) plans which allow employees to set aside pre-tax deduction savings for retirement.
- Premium Conversion - Pre-tax savings on some insurance deductions.
- Flexible Spending Accounts - Pre-tax savings on dependent care and certain un-reimbursed health care expenses.
- Direct deposit
- Membership in the Virginia Credit Union
- Employee Assistance Program
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Assistance with licensure
- Employee recognition program
- Two-year mentoring program for new teachers
- Comprehensive New Teacher Academy
- Benefits orientation sessions offered in small groups
This benefits package provided by Goochland County Public Schools is valued at over $9,000.00 for a beginning teacher with its value increasing annually as the teacher gains years of experience and corresponding salary increases.