Location, Location, Location
Located between two vibrant metro areas, Richmond and Charlottesville, Goochland County is one of the Commonwealth's hidden treasures. Goochland’s location provides urban convenience in a quiet, rural setting along the James River. We’re in the center of what’s happening: major airports, outdoor recreation, colleges and universities, museums, and historical places of interest.
Explore Goochland's past through the Goochland Historical Society and learn about the history of our schools. The public schools in Goochland County are managed by our school board and our superintendent, Dr. Linda Underwood. She welcomes you to explore more about our schools and our expanding, supportive community.
Why Goochland schools?
Competitive Salary and Benefits
- Starting salary among highest in the region
- Free health and dental insurance
- Free retirement and life insurance
- Laptop issued for your professional use
Teacher Support and Professional Development
- Comprehensive teacher induction program including a week-long New Teacher Academy and a year-long mentoring program
- Up to 12 credits per year of tuition reimbursement to add endorsements to your certificate
- Extensive professional development and technology classes offered
Recognized Leader in Technology
- Promethean ActivBoards in Middle/High School Complex
- Student to computer ratio of 2:1
- Teacher blogging initiative recognized by Virginia Tech
- Wireless high-speed internet throughout each school building
- Stellar curriculum offerings, athletics and activities programming
- Consistently meet AYP (1 of 18 divisions to have all schools and division satisfy AYP in 06-07)
- Accredited “unanimously and without reservation” by SACS-CASI/AdvancED
- Exemplary rating highlighting “enthusiasm, energy, dedication, and professionalism of the staff and School Board, in addition to the high level of involvement by the community.”
Fast Facts About Goochland County Public Schools
- Enrollment just over 2,300 students; 49 children in pre-school program (total enrollment up 8.8% since 2002)
- One of only 18 Virginia school divisions to have all schools and the division satisfy AYP
- Low student to teacher ratio (Elementary 15:1, Secondary 22:1)
- Exemplary rating from accrediting body, SACS-CASI/AdvancED
- Goochland and Byrd Elementary recognized as Distinguished Title I Schools
- Leader in technology integration. Recognized by Virginia Tech for Teacher Blogging Initiative
- Online student information system allows students and parents to access grades 24 hours a day with email notification capabilities
- MacBooks for each teacher, Promethean ActivBoards at Middle/High School Complex, and wireless high-speed internet throughout all school buildings
- Robotics teams, Young Explorers, Destination Imagination, and other opportunities provide challenge for all
- System and its programs praised by Expansion Management and Progressive Farmer, and Richmond Magazines
- Goochland High School receives High Schools That Work grant. We offer AP courses, online, and dual-enrollment courses, internships, and apprenticeships
- Located in Central Virginia between Richmond and Charlottesville along the I-64 corridor
- State champion football and baseball teams
- Over 10 colleges and universities within an hour's drive including Virginia Commonwealth University and University of Virginia
- Extensive teacher support, professional development opportunities, up to 12 credits of tuition reimbursement annually, competitive salaries as well as free medical, dental, life insurance and retirement
We are here to help! Our human resources specialist acts as a liaison with the Virginia Department of Education’s Office of Teacher Education and Licensure. We assist Goochland County Public Schools contracted teachers and other school professionals to obtain and maintain valid licensure.
Contracted instructional personnel are required to obtain a Virginia School Personnel License with appropriate endorsement(s). An endorsement area is the subject area you are licensed to teach or serve.
Meeting the Technology Standards (TSIP) and the Child Abuse Recognition and Intervention competencies are required for contracted instructional personnel renewing their five-year professional licenses.
Visit Teach Virginia for information on Virginia's requirements for teacher licensure.