January 11, 2011
Posted on: February 08, 2011
GOOCHLAND COUNTY SCHOOL BOARD
REGULAR MONTHLY MEETING
JANUARY 11, 2011
GOOCHLAND HIGH SCHOOL
CALL TO ORDER
Ivan O. Mattox, Sr., Chairman, called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
Ivan O. Mattox, Sr., Chairman
Mr. Maxwell G. Cisne
Mr. Raymond A. Miller
Mr. Andrew A. Meng, III
Dr. Linda A. Underwood, Superintendent
James L. Haskell, Vice Chairman
Also attending were:
Peter M. Gretz, Assistant Superintendent
Thomas DeWeerd, Director of Secondary Education
The Media was represented by:
Ken Odor, The Goochland Gazette
MOMENT OF SILENCE
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
ADDITIONS/DELETIONS/CHANGES TO AGENDA
Dr. Underwood presented additions/deletions/changes to agenda.
PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD
- John Wright stated he supports a flat budget and would like the opportunity to discuss specific items. Concern is with the schedule set up the board is to vote on the budget very quickly and if there is input of the public hearing portion of the meeting, there may not be time to make corrections, address issues, etc. He has written an email to the Board of Supervisors asking that they extend the time the School Board has to present the budget. He encouraged the Board to do the same.
Dr. Underwood reviewed the budget calendar.
PUBLIC HEARING ON THE BUDGET
- Penny Palen, Chairman of GEPA, said GEPA will support a fully funded school budget for SY 2011-2012. She requested a budget that does not include mass reduction in force and program cuts that occurred last year. The want the taxpayers’ funds directed to their children’s education. Ms. Palen announced a new program that is now offered to Goochland teachers. Teachers can make requests from GEPA for supplies that may be needed. The teachers can register directly on the GEPA website forum page and add needed supplies. Parents and/or citizens can purchase supplies and drop them off at the YMCA or at the schools. GEPA will pick up and distribute the donations on a weekly basis. They are currently waiting fire company approval for the fire stations to be used as drop-off locations.
- Jo D. Hosken requested that the School Board request that the budget be presented at the Board of Supervisors meeting on February 1, 2011 at 7:00 because most parents cannot attend the 3:00 meeting. There is great support behind the School Board budget this year and she would like the School Board to have that support.
- Dr. Underwood stated the School Board presentation to the Board of Supervisors has been confirmed for February 1, 2011 at 7:00 p.m.
- John Wright said he would like to see the members of the School Board stand and speak as well as other members of the public. He feels that last year it was difficult and awkward to see Mr. Miller be the sole presenter. He feels it would be a more effective communication of the needs of the schools.
Dr. Underwood recommended that the School Board continue the public hearing until January 18, 2011 at 6:30 p.m. at Goochland High School Studio B.
Mr. Miller made a motion, which was seconded by Mr. Meng, to continue the public hearing until January 18, 2011 at 6:30 p.m. at Goochland High School Studio B. The motion was approved unanimously.
A. Special Meeting-Tuesday, January 18, 2011 at 6:30 p.m. at Goochland High School Studio B
B. Regular Monthly Workshop-Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 6:30 p.m. in the Annex Conference Room
The following Consent Agenda items were presented for approval:
December 14, 2010 regular meeting minutes, and Bills and Payroll for December.
Mr. Miller made a motion, which was seconded by Mr. Cisne, to approve the Consent Items as presented. The motion was approved unanimously.
The meeting was adjourned by the Chairman.